Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Library

Before I left for Africa I had a wonderful conversation with Don and Cheryll about the many people I would meet and the things I would experience. They especially wanted me to greet Alice the librarian. They explained she was positive and that she had a wonderful spirit.






From the hammock:
Since I had brought 100 pounds of children's books, I was assigned to help organize the library.  As a few from the team discussed how we might organize the books, my inner self quietly screamed "but what about Alice, what does she think?". My image of Alice and the library was that she was tall slender and in her mid-20s. I had seen some pictures of the library and knew it was a bright beautiful room. I thought there was already a system and many books. In reality Alice was a beautiful young girl who had taken responsibility for a collection of books Don and Cheryll had brought on a previous mission trip and had naturally been appointed librarian, when the space for a library became available. While Alice was in school we organized, shelved and put cards in the books. The first time the library was open with the new books, many children stopped by after school and we had an impromptu storytime. I am confident that Alice has done whatever was needed to re-organize the library to meet the needs of her constituents. I indeed was blessed to meet Alice and the children who come to her library.




A letter from Alice


Dear Sylvia and Bill,
I hope you are very healthy as I am here. Greet everyone at your home. I was happy when the books were brought in my library I could not even image that is my library. In those books there was the one I loved most and it name is the snowman mystery when I read it I find good tenses in the book.


I would like you come here in Nazareth one day one time. We like our country because it the one that God gave us to live there.


If you have a child please don't forget to come with him/her I will be very excited. I love you.


Your lovely
Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment